Thursday, March 26, 2009

No more Doctors!!!

We have been busy with doctors this last month. It all started a couple weeks ago when Karl kicked a soccer ball and hurt his knee. He knew just what was wrong since this is his 3rd knee surgery. He had to use crutches till he could get it operated on. He was able to get in almost a week later to take out a little of his meniscus. He was walking on it that same day, but in a lot of pain.
While we were up on Provo I decided to get Kevin in to his ear nose and throat doctor. He had tubes put in almost two years ago and they hadn't fallen out yet. Well they FINALLY came to the conclusion that he needed his tinsels and adenoids taken out. One of the tubes had fallen out and was just sitting in the canal. That ear was infected and their was lots of fluid. Every time a doctor has looked in his ears they always ask if he has had an ear infection. He never complained about his ears. The doctor asked me if he ever has loss of appetite. If you know Kevin you know he has had that since he was 6 months. His tinsels are sooo big so there isn't much room to swallow. I wish a doctor would have told us that he needed this a long time ago. Anyway he had everything taken out and tubes put back in on Tuesday.

This was before the surgery. We told him that it would be the same as when he had his tubes put in. He thought his last surgery was pretty cool so he was excited. We also told him it would hurt a little more.


They don't let us go with him. We had to stay in the recovery room. It completely broke my heart when they brought him back and I could tell he had been crying for a long time. I wish I could have been with him when he woke up. He said they were making him wake up and he couldn't. When we asked him about it he starts crying again. He is seriously traumatized about it.


He had to have oxygen, for a little while after, but he did so good. I am so proud of him. I have heard that the recovery is terrible, but he is doing so good. I honestly think he could go back to school, but will wait till Monday. (We were thinking two weeks before) That night he had pancakes and a burrito. He keeps asking us to turn the tv down, he can hear so much better. It has been easier than we expected. We hear the fourth and fifth day are the worst, so we expect it to get worse. Thank you to everyone that have called, visited him and brought him ice cream. And thanks to my sister for letting us sleep at her house for both surgeries. We have great family and friends.

4 comments:

Rachel Cox said...

SAD!! Poor guy. Glad that the problem is fixed though. What a little trooper.

Madsen Family said...

OH my gosh, this made me cry! I just remember trying to wake up after my back surgery and it was so hard and scary....I can't imagine a little boy going through that without his mommy. Let me know if you need anything!

Robyn Cox said...

Wow! I have never seen Kevin cry...well, once when his head was split open and had to have stitches! He is always so tough. Those pictures are so sad...red eyes filled with tears. I bet he was so happy to finally see you guys!

Mandy Lee said...

Tell Kevin that he is not alown all thru my childhood I had three different sets of tubs put in my ears and finally they had to take out my tonsiles too. Just make sure he learns how to pop his ears cause when you go up the in the montains the drive down just about kills ya trust me I know and when he gets a head cold or sick at all make sure he pops his ears alot cause when I get sick my infection or cold goes to my ears and two years ago my ear drum burst and it killed. I learned my lesson real fast.